Medair is an international humanitarian organization established in 1988. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996 with programmes mainly in the Health, Water & Sanitation, and Livelihoods sectors with significant reconstruction activities in remote areas. Current projects are Water & Sanitation, Food Security, & Disaster Risk Reduction.
Medair is implementing an integrated IMAM, EPI and IYCF project in Kandahar Province. Medair’s health and nutrition project seeks to address the inadequate coverage and quality of life-saving services for the treatment of common illnesses, EPI Services and acute malnutrition in children under five years.
The programme also addresses some of the key determinants of malnutrition through promotion of improved IYCF practices and healthy behaviors linked to unnecessary deaths amongst vulnerable populations. This project is being implemented in Kandahar City as well as districts.
- To work as part of a mobile nutrition team covering multiple sites
- To accurately screen and appropriately provide vaccinations to the beneficiaries in the Health & nutrition program by adhering to national and international guidelines and organisational procedures
- To ensure accurate record keeping of all activities, following the provided data collection templates
- To ensure safe storage and handling of the stock (Cold chain system, vaccines, medical supplies medicines, equipment)
- Technical: To provide vaccination for all eligible children and women
- Implement and observe national guidelines and norms on EPI
- Determine appropriate vaccine type and dose volume for each client
- Carry out vaccination of children and women according to guidelines.
- Organize the follow up vaccination consultations if needed
- Recognize, respond, and alert emergency medical personnel of possible post vaccination reactions.
- Fill out tally sheets of vaccination on a daily basis
- Document vaccinations on register and immunization cards for each patient.
- Refer mothers of reproductive age and children ANC/PNC service if necessary
- Support Beneficiaries and NEWs with health education and counseling on vaccines and their importance.
- Ensure adherence to the provided protocols and guidelines
- Compile reports as required
Quality Management and Logistic : Storage and Transportation of Vaccines
- Ensure vaccines are stored in adequate conditions respecting hygiene, temperature and storage regulations
- Verify quality of vaccinations and reject damaged or compromised vaccines
- Ensure expiry dates of vaccines are respected.
- Ensure cold chain of vaccines from Medair stock or health facility to field site.
- Before leaving the office ensure that all materials are ready
- After the field visit, clean and prepare equipment for following day
- Ensure accurate record keeping of stock movements
Others: any other tasks which may be given by the Supervisor
- Support other team members with basic MHT tasks (screening, registration of patients, crowd control, etc. …)
- Support team in ensuring timely and high quality reports
- Ensure accurate record keeping of all Health & nutrition activities, filling in forms, cards, registration books and tally sheets as required
- Graduated from initial vaccination course at the National EPI program, nursing or equivalent medical training. Basic written English skills
- At least 1.5 year relevant post graduate experience
- BPHS experience will be an additional asset
- EPI & IMNIC training.
- Experience/Knowledge of EPI program
- Fluent in Pashto-oral and written skills
- Good English & Dari -oral and written skills
- Working knowledge in MS word and excel
- Ability to work in a team and coordinate tasks and responsibilities
- ·Ability to organize people in an orderly way and prioritize tasks
- Good listening and counselling skills, patient and kind attitude
- Highly motivated to provide high quality services to beneficiaries of poor communities in a challenging setting
- Good problem solving skills with a solution oriented attitude
- Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as required
- ·Respectful and kind with other staff, beneficiaries and communities
- ·Willingness to travel, work and live in a rural setting, and to behave in a manner appropriate to a conservative culture
- Willingness to learn and develop further
- Transparent in dealing with beneficiaries and Medair staff.
- Honest and dependable, with strong anti-fraud principles and high level of integrity.
Interested applicants should forward their application through: http://www.123formbuilder.com/form-4881255/grade-1-5 by not later than 18th December 2019
For technical questions only, please message jobs-khr @medair.org
“Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staffs are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices”