Directorate General for Treasury, under Deputy Minister of Finance, is responsible for all government expenditure operations. The Article 7 of the Public Finance and Expenditure Management Law (PFEML) specifies the role of the Treasury in the following terms:
In order to carry out the relevant affairs, the Treasury of the Ministry of Finance shall have the following responsibilities and authorities:
- Efficient management of the State's financial resources through a centralization of budgetary revenues, efficient financial planning and timely management of budget expenditure.
- Managing the Consolidated Fund.
- Implementing and managing the treasury bank accounts and payment procedures, which include the Treasury Single Account and official bank accounts through defining the Treasury Single Account structure of accounts and sub accounts, and ensuring necessary cooperation for activating treasury accounts including opening and closing bank accounts.
- Implementing financial plans.
- Managing cash assets.
- Implementing the budget and performing expenditure controls in accordance with revenue and expenditure plans.